Thursday, May 27, 2010

Spotlight on Demo Rider: Emma Wexler

Emma Wexler is the 12-year-old owner/rider of Registered Irish Draught Sport Horse gelding, Rebel's Run. Emma and Rebel teamed up when they met in 2008. Best to hear Emma's first impression straight from her:

"In anticipation of meeting my new horse, I looked up “rebel” on dictionary.com: “a person who resists any authority, control, or tradition.” Knowing this certainly didn’t make me feel any safer in the saddle, as I swung clumsily up onto the back of a 16h, heavily muscled, dappled grey gelding. It was October 2008, and I was just 10-years-old. So far, the most experience I’d had with a jumper was gaping while Jenny Nelson groomed her horses. So this powerful, playful gelding named Rebel was more than my brain could handle, and I was going to try him out. I was apprehensive as we walked tentatively around the ring. The contrast between my mount and I was like night and day. He was calm, confident, and just a touch cocky, while I was small as a flea on his back and had the confidence of a tulip bulb. You could say I was feeling the pressure, as half a dozen trainers sized us up. I’m still unsure how we “passed” the test, but we did somehow, and that’s what counts. Diane Nunn, my trainer at the time, called out something, probably correcting my posture. To be honest, I think most of it passed over my head, I was exhilarated and in awe, I was riding a "Jumper." I was a little intimidated at first - actually, a lot! Rebel had a solid reputation in many different disciplines. He's definitely named 'Rebel' for a reason! He's mischievous, loving, and loyal all rolled together. He'll nibble my hair just to get a reaction."
Emma began showing Rebel soon after. It was at the Late Fall Pima Academy Cup horse show in Tucson where Emma took her first fall off Rebel in the show ring. Rebel, true to form, finished the line perfectly. After realizing Emma was no longer riding him, he trotted around the ring handsomely and controlled, stopping right at her side. From then on, they became fast friends. This season, Emma and Rebel showed well together in many places including Des Moines, Mason City and Chicago--especially over fences. At the MN Hunter Jumper Association year-end awards dinner, Emma won “Best Child Rider” for 2009. Winning the IDHSNA Hunter I award was also an honor for both horse and rider. Emma is so proud of the work she and Rebel have accomplished to date.
Emma lives in Minnetonka, Minnesota, with her mom, Elizabeth, and her Corgi, Sammi. They own three horses: Rebel’s Run, Bam Bam, and Rose. Look for Emma and Rebel performing jumping Demonstrations in conjunction with the Irish Village at the World Equestrian Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment